Who (besides the non-meat eaters) doesn’t love a crispy piece of chicken? The good news here is that very little oil is required to get them crispy and before you even ask me, yes they can be cooked in an air-fryer.
Pretzels are one of my favourite snacks, especially the mini salted ones. When I realised you could crush them and use them to coat things, well I loved them even more. So if you’re a pretzel fan and have a weakness for crispy chicken, well then these Pretzel Chicken Strips are just for you.
CNC has a fabulous range of bar snacks available to shop on their online store, including the salted pretzels I used for this recipe. You can stock up on all of your favourites like mixed roasted nuts, wasabi coated peanuts, peri peri cashews and Chevra (to name a few) and buy in bulk as well.
Pretzel Chicken Strips
I prefer to marinate my chicken overnight for maximum tenderness and flavour, but if you don’t have time then that’s absolutely fine. I’ve also included the ingredients for a Honey Mustard Chipotle dip dressing which works ridiculously well with these.
- ¼ cup Greek-style yoghurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup wholegrain mustard
- 500g free range skinless chicken mini breast fillets
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 3 tablespoons southern fried coating (I used Hind’s Original)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- sunflower oil
- Add the yoghurt, mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the mini chicken breasts and mix to coat completey. You can either cover and leave them in the fridge to marinate overnight, or let them sit for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Add the crushed pretzels, southern fried coating, salt and pepper in bowl and mix to combine.
- Working with a few chicken pieces at a time, remove from the yoghurt mixture and coat in the pretzel crumbs.
- Place the crumbed chicken strips on the baking tray and lightly drizzle with sunflower oil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the chicken is crispy and cooked through. If you’re using an airfryer then cook as you would normally do chicken strips according to the settings.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Honey Mustard Chipotle Dip Dressing
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup Greek-style yoghurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons chipotle seasoning
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
Pretzel Chicken Salad
This idea came about because I had leftovers after photographing this recipe, but it was so good that I wanted to include it. All you need is a handful or two of salad leaves, avocado, sliced pretzel chicken strips and honey mustard chipotle dip dressing. You could even add a few chopped tomatoes and feta if you’ve got those on hand. Yum!