It’s a long weekend, the weather is warmer than it’s been in a while and I had a few ruby grapefruits sitting in our fruit bowl begging to be used for something.
If you’re a fan of tart citrusy drinks, then these Ruby Grapefruit & Rosemary Sodas are right up your alley. Once you’ve made your simple syrup and allowed it to cool, you’ll be enjoying these in no time at all. These are booze-free but that doesn’t mean you can’t add a shot or two of gin or tequila!
Ruby Grapefruit & Rosemary Sodas
If you don’t have ruby grapefruits on hand, any other grapefruit will do. If possible allow the syrup to steep for as long as possible, overnight if possible. The ingredients for the simple syrup below make enough for around 1.5 cups, so increase the quantities if you need to make enough for a crowd. It can also be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh ruby grapefruit juice
- zest of 1 ruby grapefruit
- 2–3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
To Serve (per Soda)
- 35ml syrup
- 70ml fresh ruby grapefruit juice
- 140ml soda water
- ruby grapefruit slices
- fresh rosemary sprigs
- First make the syrup by combining the water, honey, sugar and ruby grapefruit juice in a pot over and bring up to a simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. This should take around 5 minutes.
- Add the ruby grapefruit zest and rosemary sprigs and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, cover and steep for at least an hour or overnight.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into jug and chill.
- To serve fill your glasses with ice, add the syrup and ruby grapefruit juice then stir to combine. Top with soda water and garnish with ruby grapefruit slices and rosemary sprigs.