I realise that claiming this is the best carrot cake ever is a bold move, but it really is.
It’s also the recipe my Mom has used for years to make hundreds of cakes and cupcakes, with a few minor tweaks here and there, but it never fails to deliver each time she uses this recipe. It really is the best carrot cake ever, but you need to bake it yourself and see why.
Best Carrot Cake Ever
The recipe makes enough for one cake or around 24 cupcakes. If you’re making cupcakes take care not to overbake them by baking them for 20 minutes at 200°C. If you’re making a cake then bake for about 45-60 mins (depending on oven) at 180°C. If making a cake you can either use one tin or divide into two if you’d like to layer it.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups castor sugar
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 tin (432g) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g butter
- 600g icing sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- extra pecan nuts, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to either 200°C if you’re making cupcakes or 180°C if you’re making a cake and prepare your cake tins as needed.
- Beat the eggs until light and fluffy, add the castor sugar and oil then continue beating until the mixture is fully combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients together then add to the egg mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the carrot, pineapple, and pecan nuts and mix well.
- Add the batter to either the prepared cupcake or cake tins. If making cupcakes bake them for 20 minutes, otherwise for 45-60 mins if making a cake. Use a skewer to check if the cupcakes or cake are done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tins/tin.
- Make the frosting by combining the cream cheese, butter, and icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Fold in the lemon rind and juice, to taste. If the frosting is too thin, sift in a bit more icing sugar until slightly thicker.
- Decorate the cupcakes or cake with the frosting and top with extra pecans.