If you’ve been looking for the perfect poolside cocktail, this Victoria Gin Cucumber & Elderflower Collins is it.
It’s that time of year again, with the December holidays only a month away. I for one can’t wait and am gearing up for a big one. Plans for my three-week holiday include but are not limited to, lounging next to the pool getting my tan on and enjoying a few of these Victoria Gin Cucumber & Elderflower Collins cocktails in the sun.
I’m a big fan of a Collins, first discovering them while having cocktails in the bar at the Hyatt on the 92nd floor of the Shanghai World Financial Center. They continued to be my cocktail of choice whenever I went there, and I continue to enjoy them.
A Collins is a sour cocktail usually made with gin, lemon juice and carbonated water. They’re served long over ice in a tall glass usually with the same name. They’re refreshing, perfect for anyone who isn’t a fan of tonic water and who prefers drinking something less sweet.
Victoria Gin Cucumber & Elderflower Collins
- 30ml Victoria Dry Gin
- 20ml Cucumber Simple Syrup (see recipe below)
- 20ml Elderflower Cordial
- 20ml Lemon Juice
- 4-5 Thin Cucumber Slices
- 100mL Sparkling Water
Fill a glass with ice and add the Victoria Dry Gin, cucumber simple syrup, elderflower cordial, lemon juice and cucumber slices. Stir and top up with soda water.
Cucumber Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup grated cucumber, skin on
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally until mixture becomes slightly syrupy.
- Remove from heat and stir in cucumber. Cover and set aside to steep for 30 minutes.
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl and pour syrup over to strain out solids, then stored in air tight container in the fridge.